Tax Help for Registered Domestic Partners – RDP IRS help

Tax returns for registered domestic partners, including same-sex spouses, can be complex. The laws in your state, and more specifically community property laws, dictate how you file and which deductions you can claim. There are nine community property states in the nation: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. Your state’s laws also determine how you, as a registered domestic partner, file your returns federally with the Internal Revenue Service.

For assistance with all RDP tax services, please contact our firm for a free tax consultation at 877-788-2937.

For instance, in California, domestic partnerships include all of the rights and responsibilities common to marriage. In 2010, the IRS ruled that couples that are registered domestic partners must combine their income when filing their federal tax returns; reporting half of the total income and half of the withholdings on their separate tax returns. This was due to a change in the California community property tax law. The good news is that if one partner is making significantly more than the other, it can result in savings on their tax bill. In fact, a recent California tax agency study stated that 60% of registered domestic partners that file jointly save around $500 annually. The same study found that 12% have a slight increase in tax liability, and the remaining couples would not see any difference.

According to the IRS site, registered domestic partners should complete Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, with wages and income, as well as deductions and corresponding schedules, according to the instructions. If you are filing as a registered domestic partner, you will need to complete the Allocation Worksheet in Table 2 of Publication 555, Community Property. This worksheet should be included with each return to explain how you computed the income, deductions, and federal income tax withholding reported. You will also need to put your partner’s social security number in the “Notes” section of the Allocation Worksheet, or attach a copy of your partner’s Form W-2 or 1099-R along with your own, noting the division of income and withholding on the form.

You can review Publication 555, Community Property, which answers many questions for couples who reside in community property states – including registered domestic partners and same-sex spouses. The website also has a page of frequently asked questions:

You may have a lot of questions. There can be confusion from the way to calculate gross income, to whether or not one partner can file as head-of-household, to specific tax rules for dependency, medical care reimbursements, social security benefits, Schedule C’s, to which tax credits, expenses, and deductions are allowable for both partners.

We are experts in tax preparation and planning, with experience on the specifics relating to tax filings for registered domestic partners and same-sex couples.
Our Tax and IRS Audit Help Services:
Tax Preparation: We handle every kind of tax filing including individual 1040 returns, partnership 1065 returns, corporate 1120 returns, fiduciary 1041 returns, and estate 706 returns.
Tax Planning: We are obsessive when it comes to keeping up with the tax changes, newest planning strategies, and the most important tax information. This is particularly important for registered domestic partners since the laws have changed in recent years. This is to your advantage – we will work with you to plan your year so you can keep a handle on your taxes and keep them as low as possible.

Tax Controversy: If you find yourself requiring assistance in dealing with the IRS or any tax agency, we’ll be right by your side. We can represent you and help you resolve your tax problems from negotiating tax settlements, to resolving back taxes, completing and submitting unfiled returns, and 941 employment tax resolution. We have the experience and the expertise to efficiently, affordably, and discretely handle your tax problems. And we’ll walk you through every step of the process.

IRS Audit Help: We represent audited taxpayers before the IRS, so they do not have to meet the IRS tax auditor. If you receive an audit letter, we can review and present you at the IRS audit, along with the supporting documentation the auditor may want to see. We’ll even work with you to reconstruct your backup if necessary. We know the tax laws and taxpayer rights, so we will resolve the audit to the best possible outcome on your behalf – all without it being necessary for you to take time off to meet with the auditor.

Our tax firm has the technical knowledge and expertise to provide you with the outstanding tax service that you deserve. All of your tax needs can easily be conducted to suit your schedule and availability. We can arrange to meet in person at our office or we can handle everything by mail, e-mail, or by fax.

Our firm provides various tax services:
• Individual Tax Preparation
• Business Tax Return Preparation
• Tax representation services
• Tax problem resolution
Tax opinion letters
• Gift and Estate Tax Return Preparation
• Corporate and Partnership Tax Preparation
• Estate and Succession Planning
• Tax and Education Planning
• Out-of-State Returns
• Business formation and set-up advice
For assistance with all of your tax needs, please contact our tax firm for a free tax consultation at 877-788-2937.

Mike Habib, EA is a boutique tax resolution firm that helps individual and business taxpayers with all tax services, including tax controversy matters. We have the highest BBB rating of “A +”.

Contact Information